Chair Based Exercise
Gentle sitting exercises can be done at home and will help improve your mobility and prevent falls.
Don't worry if you've not done much for a while – these seated exercises are gentle and easy to follow.
For these exercises, choose a solid, stable chair that doesn't have wheels.
You should be able to sit with your feet flat on the floor and knees bent at right angles. Avoid chairs with arms, as these will restrict your movement.
Wear loose, comfortable clothing and keep some water handy.
Build up slowly and aim to gradually increase the repetitions of each exercise over time.
Try to do these exercises at least twice a week.
Falls Prevention - Top Tips
Here are some top tips to help prevent falls.
Look after your feet
- Make sure your shoes/slippers keep your foot firmly in place. Avoid narrow heels, open backs or worn soles
- Eat healthily and regularly and always take your medicines on time and as prescribed.
Look after your eyes
- Have your eyes tested regularly – it's free if you're over 65
Stay active, stay steady
- Be active – try to do 30 minutes of moderate activity every day to help you maintain balance and muscle strength – this could be split into 3 x 10 minute sessions across the day
Look after your home
- Replace worn floor coverings, remove clutter and ensure your home is well lit